A photo of mine was published on the National Geographic web site today. It is a photograph I took some 9 years ago at Lake Tahoe. I didn’t know what the phenomena was and asked the folks at Astronomy Picture of the Day if they knew. They were kind enough to let me know that it was a Sun Pillar and oh, by the way, could they use the photo? It became the Astronomy Picture of the Day for November 7, 2001. After that, I started to get inquiries from around the world. The photo has appeared:
- The Polish Science Magazine Wiedza i Zycie, February 2006
- The Italian Science Magazine Newton, June 2002
- Photo Techniques Magazine, Mar/Apr 2002.
- A book from APOD: “The Universe: 365 Days“
- It was APOD for a second time on Feb. 5, 2006
…and on many, many websites both with and without permission.